The Sundance Institute Theatre Program provides a unique catalytic process of artistic engagement for independent theatre-makers in the U.S. and globally through a range of artist-driven developmental opportunities that connect, support and sustain artists across their careers.
Led by Artistic Director Philip Himberg and Producing Director Christopher Hibma, the Sundance Institute Theatre Program emphasizes intensive and limited-time interactions with high-level artistic mentors within the context of retreat settings removed from commercial pressures and other demands of contemporary life. The result is Lab experiences that are transformative on both personal-artistic and project-specific levels.
Deadline to Apply: November 1, 2017 at 5:00pm EST
US & MENA Playwrights, Directors, Composers & Librettists
If you are an actor and would like to be considered for the acting company during the Theatre Lab, you are invited to send your headshot and resume; to email@example.com. We will review all submissions with the Theatre Program casting directors. The Theatre Program holds Equity Principal Auditions once per year in New York for US actors. Please refer to the Actors’ Equity website for scheduling information. All actors from the MENA region will be invited to participate directly by members of the Theatre Program. Arabic-speaking actors who would like to be considered for the acting company are also invited to send us their headshots and resumes to MENAtheatre@sundance.org.
What Sundance Institute Provides
- Roundtrip Economy Airfare
- Airport Transfers
- Private Accommodation
- Three meals/day
- $500 USD/week stipend = $1500 USD total
- Inclusive of parties & receptions
- Financial support to secure travel visas (if needed)
How to Apply
Complete the online application form and upload your materials electronically. Materials to include:
- Script Draft of your play or musical (unprotected Word or PDF document)
- Artistic Statement (If applying as a playwright/director team, Sundance Institute requires a statement from both the playwright and director)
- Describe the status of the project, including prior readings and workshops, and what you hope to accomplish at the Lab. Include comments on the content, style of the piece, and the team’s objectives for the workshop.
- Resumes/Bios for each collaborator
- Letter of permission from a commissioning organization (if applicable)
- $35 non-refundable application processing fee payable by credit card (waived for MENA applicants)
NOTE TO MENA APPLICANTS: Materials must be submitted directly to MENAtheatre@sundance.org. Applications are accepted in Arabic, English and French.
NOTE: If you do not have access to the Internet, please call the Theatre Program at +1-646-822-9564 and we will work with you to submit your materials using alternative methods. Please make every effort to utilize the online application as it ensures the safe delivery of your application and supports the Sundance Institute’s environmental stewardship.
For more information , visit the Sundance institute